ESOS Energy Audits
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory scheme for large UK organisations that meet the qualifying criteria (see below). The scheme requires that qualifying organisations must carry out an ESOS assessment every 4 years. The primary purpose of the assessment audit is to calculate the energy used by their buildings, industrial processes and transport and to identify cost-effective energy saving measures.
For those businesses that qualify, but are fully covered by ISO 50001, then you do not need to carry out an ESOS assessment. All other businesses that qualify do need to carry out an ESOS assessment.
For the assessment, you need to:
- Calculate your total energy consumption
- Identify your areas of significant energy consumption
- Appoint a lead assessor
- Notify the Environment Agency, or regulator for your region
- Keep records
RW Air Energy, as part of the ESOS assessment, will calculate your energy consumption and identify areas of significant energy consumption. We have suitably accredited staff who can act as the lead assessor and also submit the completed assessment to the relevant regulator for your region.
The deadline for compliance for the current ESOS phase 2 was 5 December 2019.
Organisations need to comply if one or more of the options below apply:
- 250 or more employees in the UK
- Less than 250 employees, but an annual turnover exceeding €50 million and a balance sheet exceeding €43 million
- Part of a corporate group containing a large enterprise